Thursday, March 23, 2006

Musical Memories

I'm sitting in the dentists office listening to the horrible easy listening music meant to soothe me while I'm being tortured, when a song comes on that instantly transports me back to being 16 years old. I'm sitting at the movies with my first love. I hadn't ever had a broken heart...my first one was still a few months away. I can absolutely remember what it felt like to be free and invincible. Everything I felt, I felt completely through every ounce of my body. Life was perfect and intense and dramatic and exciting and enormous and laid out before me to take me in any direction that I could imagine.

I can remember how it felt to really wonder what would come next. That tingly feeling that would run to the tips of toes when his arm would accidentally brush against mine. (It probably wasn't an accident, was it?) Sitting in the dark, wishing with all of my will that he would put his arm around me, hold me, touch me, kiss me...yet at the same time, relishing the feeling of anticipation waiting for something to happen. When was the last time I had butterflies like that in my stomach?

I love that I can close my eyes and instantly be transported back to those memories and feelings. I would hate to think that even though I have matured beyond some of those emotions and perspectives, that I could never experience them again...even if only through memory.

No comments: