Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Moms in my Life.

There is nothing like the word "Cancer" to get you thinking.

I grew up in a very small, close-knit school. Everyone knew everyone and parents were involved. The thing about that kind of environment is that everyone's mom becomes your mom. The moms were always at field trips or planning special activities. They were cleaning our cuts when we fell down and they were scolding us when we did wrong. They were helping us set up tents on campouts and at night after the kids were in sleeping bags, they were playing cards and having a cup of wine by the fire. Sure we could joke around with them, but we ALWAYS respected them. As a kid, it never crossed my mind that their word carried less weight than my own mom.

What hadn't occurred to me until recently was the amazing place that these moms still hold in my life as an adult. Sure I saw them and said hello just like I did with all of the other adults who knew me as a kid, but subconsciously I knew they were different. When they ask how I'm doing and hear about my successes, I can see the pride in their eyes. When they think I am making mistakes in my life, they kindly tell me why...and it never feels like they are overstepping their bounds. When I tell them the rare tea they are drinking smells good, they don't just tell me where they got it...they bring me a box. And when they get sick...I care. Not just in the old "Oh how sad, she's a nice lady" way, I really care.

It is such a cliche that you don't appreciate the blessings in your life until you envision them gone. I never realized how fortunate I was to grow up with such an amazing group of moms around who cared for me and provided me wonderful examples of the kind of woman I could become. I am even more fortunate to still know them. I wish there was some way to tell them how much I appreciate them but I'm guessing that like my own mom, deep down they already know.

No comments: