Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Disappearing Moon

Eclipse

I camped out on Mulholland tonight to watch the eclipse. It was definitely a gamble as it had been cloudy and gray all day and it was supposed to rain for most of the rest of the week. We were, however, supposed to be given a reprieve in the form of a small window of partly cloudy skies tonight. In a stroke of luck, that window of time arrived right as the moon was rising and the clouds didn't start rolling back in until the eclipse started waning.

I found a great little spot off of Mulholland where I not only had a perfect view of the moon's path across the sky, but I also had an amazing view of downtown, the Griffith Observatory, the Hollywood sign and a clear shot to the ocean while the light lasted. It doesn't get more LA great than that.

I've never seen an eclipse before...what a fun show. I do know that the moon is round, but I never knew it could look quite so orb shaped from earth. It was very cool. There was a nice little group of folks taking pictures. A good time was had by all, at least until security showed up to run us out. Turns out the park closed at 6, but just like the luck of the perfectly timed break in the weather he didn't show up until the eclipse was almost over and the clouds were just starting to roll back in.

You can check out all of my eclipse pictures here. (I really need a better lense)

Truthfully, the cold was worth braving just for the shots I got of downtown.

Los Angeles By Night

No comments: